Brief History of Cellular Jail
The Cellular Jail, also known as Kālā Pānī (lit. ’Black Water’), was a colonial prison in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India.
The prison was used by the British government for the purpose of exiling political prisoners to the remote archipelago.
This three-storied prison, constructed by Britishers in 1906, is a pilgrimage destination for freedom fighters.
This colossal edifice has mutely witnessed the most treacherous of inhumane atrocities borne by the convicts, who were mostly freedom fighters.
Today, the complex serves as a national memorial monument.
There were a total of 696 small-sized cells in this prison. It was a three-storied Jail with seven branches.
The size of every cell comprises 2.7 meters to 4.5 meters. There was no bedroom present in jail.
The primary building is made up of red stones that were acquired from Burma.
This type of construction resembled a wheel of the bicycle where each of the wings is connected with the central tower as the “spoke of the wheel”.
Evening Light & Sound Show at Cellular Jail
The saga of the heroic freedom struggle is brought alive in a moving Son-et-Lumiere, shown daily inside the jail compound at 6.00 PM (Hindi) and 7.15 PM (English).
Today, the place is illuminated by colorful lights in the memory of martyrs. A beautiful sound and light show are organized on four days of a week
It aims at recounting the events that are organized at the Cellular Jail Memorial in the past.
Also there is a Museum, an Art gallery, and a Photo gallery, which are open on all days except Monday from 9.00 AM to 12 Noon and 2.00 PM to 5.00 PM.